1.06.2012

Have You Ever Wanted to Read an Ancient Dcoument?

I mean ancient, not just ancient. I mean something that was written by the people who built the pyramids, or the hanging gardens, or maybe Hammurabi who ordained the first written law code of the ancient world, something from a lost civilization like the Olmecs, or the people of Angkor Wat, or the civilization of Mohenjo Daro. Why in the world would anybody besides a total history geek (referring to myself, of course) want to waste his or her time pouring over a scrap of paper from people long gone? What is the purpose or fascination for such things? I suppose it would vary from person to person. For my part, I would like to learn something new, something that would tell us more about these amazing ancient constructs. Why did the people of Mohenjo Daro leave? How were the pyramids built with less than 1 cm difference in the length of sides? Why did Hammurabi design his law code the way he did? Maybe these people had a bit of wisdom they could leave behind for us; something that could help us today.
Guess what! I have in my personal possession a document, not original – but I wouldn’t be able to read it if it was – that dates as far back as 1500 B.C.! Not only that, but it also recounts events in detail 2500 years before that! This document outlines the history of a people that have been scattered throughout the entire earth, and had their own conflicts with Egypt, Assyria, Aramea, Babylon, Persia, and Rome to name a few, mentioning conflicts and kings that were not found in the archaeological record until recently, and some that have yet to be found. It lists specific recipes for their very advanced medicinal practices that were not fully understood by science until the 19th century, almost 2500 years later! Most importantly, it contains the secret to save all of humanity from impending doom, a doom far worse than a plague, an invading army, or some cosmological disaster. It recounts very concisely the solution to all of humanity’s problems, summed up in this one small passage:
God was manifested in the flesh,
Justified in the Spirit,
Seen by angels,
Preached among the Gentiles,
Believed on in the world,
Received up in glory.

There – the solution to mankind’s problems summed up in 6 lines. No Egyptian document could tell me that, and Hammurabi likely as not had no idea what was coming, or even why his law code might be considered “just”.
I have in my personal possession the most valuable document in history, something preserved for thousands of years with practically no variation, something that can not only help save my eternal life, but also those around me.

We call it the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment