3.23.2012

The Strong Must be Able to Bow

I tell my little brothers stories. In fact, I tell them a lot of stories: everything from historical fiction, to Narnian side-stories, to futuristic solar-system wars. We’re quite diverse in our selection. Regardless of the location or time period, all of the stories have heroes: usually a team of individuals with diverse skills that will inevitably lead the good guys to victory. Usually, these characters have varying degrees of admirable qualities: bravery, intelligence, loyalty, and the occasional sacrificial mindset where they value others more than themselves.

That’s great, right? I mean, what more could you want in a hero? Well, as time progressed, I began to realize that my characters lacked a very important aspect: God. I was creating larger than life heroes that had no need for God in their lives. Sure, they followed His moral code, but no recognition was given to the One would have brought them through it all.

The title is indicative of a new trait my characters have. Those who recognize God’s sovereignty are the ones that generally do well, not just on the battlefield, but as well as moral decisions and values. Those who do not have God in their lives, or have not completely surrendered, tend to have more problems.

So what does that mean? No, my heroes do not become Moseses where they can call down the plagues on their enemies and decimate them. It does not even mean they are more victorious in battle, because we are not guaranteed that as Christians, but a difference is shown. The Christians are brave because they have no fear of death because Jesus triumphed over the grave; they are loyal because they love the country and friends that God gave them, and value them as such; they will sacrifice themselves for others because “Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends” (John 15:13). Those who are non-believers tend to be brutal, because they will do anything to prevent death; they are not loyal because loyalty costs a lot – a price they are not willing to pay; they will sacrifice others for themselves because they are selfish. Before, I wasn’t showing this difference, but I think a difference needs to be shown.

The strongest must be willing to bow - I think the good men are the ones that recognize they are inherently evil, the greatest men are the ones that recognize they are small, and the strongest are the ones that recognize they are weak, and the only solution to our state is God. This is a great truth, and one I should consider when thinking about role models or heroes in my own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment