2.03.2012

What if? - Atlantis Part I

“Athryntos!”
I shook my head, clearing the dizzying nothingness that hinted of sleep, and ran to where my master stood, tapping his foot impatiently.
“Yes, master?” I inquired.
“Falling asleep again, weren’t you?” He queried.
“No, of course not.” I replied.
Tyvros shook his head, obviously not believing me. “Young fools. You always stay at the feasts late and expect that there will be no repercussions the next morning. Don’t lie to me again.”
“But master, I – “
I got no further as he cuffed me on the side of my head, sending me sprawling to the ground.
“In all of Atlantis, there is no lad as thick-headed as you.” He sighed, still shaking his head. “Take the clasps to the “preacher” and hurry back here. There’s a lot to be done.”
I nodded and went to the back room, where a new set of clasps had just been made. I picked one up an inspected it, marveling. It was made of orichalcum, the precious metal considered to be second only to gold. Only those of my clan, the Kan-Tubaleons, know how to work it. Yes, between orichalcum and iron, our position in society is secured; few others have learned our secrets, and as far as I know, few ever will.I replaced the clasp in the wooden box and closed the lid. Carrying it out back, I whistled loudly, calling for Enta. After a few moments, he came flapping down from some unknown roost, of which there were many in the city. Enta was a simple flying dragon that Tyvros maintained to deliver orders. As our craft was required throughout the entire continent, it was good to have a swift mount on hand. Enta was not as strong as the battle-dragons, which walk on two feet.
But he was not as feared as leviathan, the massive sea-dragon that few legends spoke about, but everybody knew about. He breathed fire, swam swiftly through the water, and could defeat a dozen warriors with ease. Even weapons made from our precious orichalcum could not penetrate his scaly armor. These were only a few dragon breeds among hundreds, but by far the most well-known. I strapped the chest to Enta and climbed onto his back. Picking up the reins, I clicked to him.
“Up Enta, let’s go.”
Enta warbled and lifted his massive wings, 30 cubits from tip to tip. With a few flaps of his wings, we were airborne, circling above the city to gain altitude. We dodged the spire of one of the temples, and I briefly had Enta land on its roof before we continued.

4 comments:

  1. hmmmmm - wonder where this is going? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, it's bad enough that I freak out with sea creatures...but leviathans have always sent me overboard. Thank you.

    This is good...wonder where it's going ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete